31 October 2010

Rain, Halloween and Green Tomatoes

I was awakened at 3 this morning with a cat on my head and Bekah kicking me.  Every chance she gets, that girl will sleep in my bed.  I always said that she wouldn't be leaving for college still sleeping in my bed.  She's starting to scare me.

And Luna C. Kitten...You are DARLING, really you are, but those fish hooks and needles that are your claws and teeth?  I'm really not so enamored of this kitten at three in the morning.

I also learned it was raining when I finally gave up on sleep and got up for good at 3:45.  Raining on Halloween.    Lizzy did win a second place prize at the costume contest last night with her Marcel Marceau, but they are both looking forward to TOTing.  Even Bekx, at her "advanced" age.  We have plans, too.  One of Lizzy's friends, her mom and little sister are supposed to go with us.  Bekx is working on finding someone else to go since her friend got grounded at the last minute.  Really and truly a bummer, but I totally get the mom's position on why she felt it was necessary.

I was poking around the remnants of my garden yesterday, trying to make a decision about the tomatoes and wondering if the rain has ruined the hollyhock seed pods.  I have green tomatoes.  Lots of folks have green tomatoes still on the vine.  Over here, I wrote about how to dry them and how to store the dried 'maters:  
http://www.examiner.com/gardening-in-medford/wrapping-up-the-season . 

I remembered my Mama Grande making this for us as kids.  While I haven't quite figured out how to work around my red-dye-sensitive elder child and red jello (or artificially dyed red anything else for that matter...), I have fond memories of the faux raspberry jam she made with green tomatoes.  I don't have her exact recipe, and she's long gone now, but the method is still out there...


I know what you’re thinking and, while I may be certifiable in just about every other area in life, this is not one of them.  Jill Nicolaus from Dave’s Garden has provided the method and it’ll give you something entertaining to do with those last green tomatoes.

I’m sure that, with the recent threats of frost, you fled to the garden to save those last tomatoes.  Maybe you’ve got some set aside to slowly ripen.  Maybe you’ve been making fried green tomatoes, green tomato chutney and green tomato pickles.  Run out of ideas?  Round up your kids or grandkids – it’s time for something totally fun!

This jam is perfect to make with kids.  Three ingredients, no canning – just some chopping and stovetop cooking.  Be sure to gauge how much help your helpers are going to require.  Move a chair or step stool to the stove so they can reach for stirring.

Admittedly, “red raspberry” jam from green tomatoes likely won’t bring home a blue ribbon from the county fair compared to Mrs. Nesbit’s very best quality raspberry preserves.  However, the seeds give it an authentic look and the tang of the green tomatoes makes a nice counter to the sweetness.  A recipe attributed to Southern Living magazine reduces the amount of sugar to 1-1/2 cups and increases the amount of tomato to 2-1/2 cups.  I’ve heard that you can add a packet of unsweetened raspberry Kool Aid drink mix for extra zing.  For us, that red dye could be an issue, but moderation in all things is the key!

There’s an entertainment factor of epic proportion by transforming green tomatoes into something that tastes and looks like red raspberries.  Imagine the kick you and the kids will get out of revealing the “secret” of your homemade “raspberry” jam.  Imagine the kids giggling themselves silly attempting to explain to their dad that he’s just eaten a peanut butter and tomato sandwich!  Whether or not you have kids to help you, give this recipe a try.  Faux food recipes are not only tasty, but they’re really amusing to serve to unsuspecting guests.  You Red Hat Ladies – whip some of this “jam” up for one of your teas.  After all, it’s the right color! 

Green Tomato “Raspberry” Jam

2 cups minced green tomatoes
2 cups sugar
1 – 3 oz. Package red raspberry gelatin

Wash and stem or core the tomatoes and remove any bad spots.  Then dice or shred the tomatoes.  A food processor to roughly mince them also works well.

Put the tomatoes and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.  Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and reduce the heat.  Simmer 20 minutes.  If you diced the tomatoes, cook them long enough so that they don’t look chunky anymore.

Add the raspberry gelatin and bring to a boil.  Now the jam is ready to be poured into clean jars.  This is not a shelf-stable recipe and you have to store it in the refrigerator or freezer.  This recipe makes about a pint and you can totally double it if you wish.

1 comment:

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks for sharing that. And I LOVE the picture of Lizzy!!!! Going to share your blog with my friend, Lydia, in Diamond Bar CA ... she also is a gardener and has a blog. Check her's
www.averygoodlife.blogspot.com xo